[swift-evolution] Guaranteed closure execution

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Jan 29 11:38:01 CST 2016

On Jan 29, 2016, at 12:23 AM, Jacob Bandes-Storch via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> I've wanted something like this as well. I think it would be harder than it seems, because "x = 1" might need to perform initialization, or assignment, depending how it's used.
>
> It could make sense to have something like "@noescape(executed_exactly_once)" but this might be so limited it's not worth it. And I'm not sure how it should interact with throws.

I think that something like this is implementable, and making it a modifier to @noescape is sensible.

The semantics we could support is that the function is guaranteed to call the closure exactly once on any path that could lead to a return or throw.

This approach allows you to pass the closure down the stack, and composes with error handling.  It is obviously limited what you can do with the closure, but that is necessary to validate correctness.

-Chris