[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0023 API Design Guidelines (when to use properties)

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Wed Jan 27 19:05:21 CST 2016

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 4:45 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:
> on Wed Jan 27 2016, David Waite <david-AT-alkaline-solutions.com <http://david-at-alkaline-solutions.com/>> wrote:
>
>> Whether I get a collection’s count once at the start of my loop or for
>> each iteration of my loop, both will give me safe behavior.
>
> I'm not sure whether you're conflating two ideas here.  When we say
> "safe" in Swift, we don't mean "doesn't have side-effects;" we mean
> either type safety (not accessing initialized memory as a type it
> doesn't have) or memory safety (not accessing uninitialized memory).
> Could you clarify what you mean?

Apologies, I omitted the definition of safe I was using when paring down the email and didn’t notice (FYI, the original definition of safe and idempotent came from HTTP).

I mean without *impacting* side effects. For value types this means non-mutable, but not necessarily forbidding mutation of classes (including ones referenced internally by the struct). This means that any side effects are not visible from the API perspective.

On a separate reply of what I mean by this, I gave the example of using a logging interface, or having a collection backed by a splay tree (a data structure whose topology is modified on read).

>> Once you have the safety aspect underway, usability and consistency
>> determine what stays as properties or gets promoted to methods.
>>
>> Example: from a safety perspective, “reverse” and many other methods
>> could be getter property on CollectionType. However, they could not be
>> properties on the super type SequenceType, because SequenceType is
>> allowed to consume the underlying data. To have “reverse’ be
>> consistent across both SequenceType and its subtype CollectionType, it
>> needs to be a method.
>>
>> underestimateCount() looks like it could be a property for safety, but
>> some other design/consistency aspects made it a method.
>
> This is useful, thanks!

Yeah, once you qualify what can be a property by the basic level of user expectation, there are other aspects (including complexity and usage) that come into play when deciding between properties and methods.

Count is a great example; with C-style for loops in the picture, it was probable someone would call count in their comparison on each loop, not realizing it backs a possibly O(n) operation. With C-style loops gone, having count be a property is more easily justified.

-DW