[swift-evolution] XCTest

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:44:31 CST 2016

Thanks for raising this issue, James!

Similar opinions were expressed by others when the Swift Evolution proposal
SE-0019, "Swift Testing", was being discussed.

- Review of the proposal on the mailing list:
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160111/006197.html
- Comments on the GitHub pull request to add the proposal:
https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/pull/51

I think there was a general consensus that as long as the package manager's
testing support was generic enough, it would allow third-parties to build
testing frameworks in any style, including RSpec's. The accepted proposal
will initially only support XCTest, with consideration for third-party
framework support to come later. At that later point, I'm sure RSpec-style
frameworks for Swift will emerge from the larger open-source community.

In the meantime, swift-corelibs-xctest's goal remains the same: API parity
with Objective-C XCTest. Adopting RSpec-style syntax is a non-goal for that
project.

- Brian Gesiak