[swift-evolution] Pitch: (Almost) std libs

David Turnbull dturnbull at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 01:32:31 CST 2016

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 10:44 PM, FĂ©lix Cloutier <swift-evolution at swift.org>
wrote:

> This is probably what David means when he says that it uses dynamic
> dispatch.

I was a bit imprecise because 100% of my math libraries are generic. So
it's stuck in my head that everything gets a dynamic dispatch. But yeah,
concrete functions crossing modules are simply not-inlined. Which is still
a very big deal for simple math operations.

Regardless of the technical details, there's significant advantages to
being "stdlib" instead of "module". That's what I wanted to bring to the
discussion. It's not something you'll find in the docs but I think it's
important to know about for anyone working on this idea.

-david