[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Eliminating Swift's Screaming Snake Case Identifiers

Brian Gesiak modocache at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:41:08 CST 2016

I have no strong feelings on the proposal, but I would like to confirm that the behavior will remain the same--this simply changes the name of these identifiers, is that correct?
I ask because swift-corelibs-xctest and the Objective-C XCTest SDK overlay use `__FILE__` and `__LINE__` as default parameters for assertion functions (see: https://github.com/apple/swift-corelibs-xctest/blob/73ff15ac353e6596bf314d66f90e1471043cf071/Sources/XCTest/XCTAssert.swift#L158). These currently evaluate to the callsite of the function: calling `XCTAssert(true)` in a file named "Foo.swift" expands to `XCTAssertTrue(true, file: "Foo.swift")`.
As we attempt to replicate the Objective-C XCTest API in swift-corelibs-xctest, we're beginning to rely on these identifiers more (see: https://github.com/apple/swift-corelibs-xctest/pull/43). It would be quite the setback if the behavior of the identifiers changed on us, so I just wanted to confirm that this proposal is only discussing naming, not behavior.
- Brian Gesiak

-1 I don’t mind how it reads, but Dictionaries return optionals.