[swift-evolution] Delegate Method Conventions (was:[Review] SE-0023 API Design Guidelines)

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Tue Jan 26 08:40:47 CST 2016

Yes, here: tableView(_:numberOfRowsInSection:) <https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/UIKit/Reference/UITableViewDataSource_Protocol/#//apple_ref/occ/intfm/UITableViewDataSource/tableView:numberOfRowsInSection:>

>> …(note the longest is only ~10 characters longer than the shortest!).
>
> Sorry, I don't see why that is relevant.  Care to explain?

I did not make the intention clear; apologies. I was intending to illustrate that although all of the examples contain redundancies, none of them are egregiously worse than the others (including the original); the worst case is only moderately more-redundant than the best case.

>> Although there might be an as-yet unseen option that’s superior to all
>> of the above, just out of those 4 it’s hard to see how you can justify
>> option #3 using the API guidelines;
>> it also seems hard to envision a self-consistent expansion of the
>> guidelines that’d lead to favoring #3.
>
> You can't.
>
>> As already noted this is really more-relevant to the “objective-c
>> import revision”, but you can frame my points as obliquely asking “to
>> what extent should the Swift API guidelines actually matter when doing
>> the big Objective-C import?”
>
> We're willing to accept that some imported APIs will not follow the
> guidelines.
>
>> I also question your sense of real-world use of delegate protocols;
>> just taking inventory of the most recent project I completed, it looks
>> like it had 5 custom delegate-style protocols. Of these, 4 had exactly
>> one implementation each, and 1 had exactly 2 implementations;
>
> And how many use-sites were there?

5, just counting “classes using said delegates”; 14 if you go by individual method use.

>> I don’t think this is that untypical. If you accept it as not too
>> atypical,
>
> I do.
>
>> it suggests a more uniform balance between defining a delegate
>> protocol, using said protocol, and implementing said protocol.
>
> Not necessarily.  How many times did this project implement delegate
> protocols that were defined elsewhere?

Looks like 12, for implementations; “a lot”, going by by the method count.

In any case I don’t dispute the general point, just perhaps the exit.

> In any case, for what it's worth, I personally think the direction
> you're going with those delegate APIs is great, and it has the benefit
> of bringing them into conformance with other guidelines.  My only point
> in saying that the declaration site is more important with delegate
> methods than with others is that there's more type information at the
> declaration site of a method than at its use site, so there's definitely
> no reason to make them more verbose than others.  Making them simply
> follow the existing guidelines exactly is a simple solution that IMO
> leads to good code, and one I would support.
>
> However, what Cocoa guys like Tony Parker say about the eventual
> direction of delegate APIs should probably carry a lot more weight than
> what I say.
>
>> To wind this digression down now, the API guidelines’ attitude towards
>> redundancy seems somewhat troubling; no one wants needless redundancy,
>> but natural languages tend towards redundancy (cf
>> agreement/pleonasm/etc) and it’s not at all self-evident that less
>> redundancy always implies increased readability (which you may or may
>> not be intending to imply; I can’t tell)…especially when it’s easy to
>> get fooled by increased speed-of-reading.
>
> This seems like a pretty vague concern.  Let's see concrete examples of
> problems you think the guidelines' attitude toward redundancy will
> cause.  FWIW, "omit needless words" isn't something we just came
> up with ourselves: it's a time-honored principle of clear English
> writing (google it).

Sure, sure, but if you’ll forgive a cheap shot I’d point out Strunk would’ve tut-tutted here and suggested, perhaps, “we didn’t invent ‘omit needless words’”. The tricky part of that rule is that what’s needless is highly contextual, and to be *understood* when writing in a highly-condensed style usually requires a large amount of shared context.

Which need-for-context is at the root of my admittedly-vague concern; I’ve done my best to come up with a concrete-ish example, but it’s a bit contrived and not as strong as I’d like, either. It’s more of an "ecosystem concern”, too.

Here are *six* functions that could conceivably be named `min` under the guidelines:

func min() -> Generator.Element? // obviously only where `Generator.Element` is `Comparable`
func min(isLessThan comparator: (Generator.Element,Generator.Element) -> Bool) -> Generator.Element?
func min<K:Comparable>(extractor: (Generator.Element) -> K) -> K?
func min<K:Comparable>(extractor: (Generator.Element) -> K?) -> K?
func min<T>(extractor: (Generator.Element) -> T, isLessThan comparator: (T,T) -> Bool) -> T?
func min<T>(extractor: (Generator.Element) -> T?, isLessThan comparator: (T,T) -> Bool) -> T?

…and perhaps they *all* should be named `min` (and we simply let context and type information sort it all out for us).

But if the names should be different, what’re good choices?

My vague concern is that having “maximally-terse” names for the standard library functions makes it trickier to choose "non-misleading” names for such closely-related variants.

EG: if you go with `minValue` for the variants, to a casual reader there’s room for confusion vis-a-vis `min` (I suspect many would initially guess that `minValue` does what `minElement` does today, but would guess the behavior correctly if given a choice between `minElement` and `minValue`).

Unfortunately for my case, I think `minFor` is a perfectly-reasonable choice here, which undermines my concrete example (I warned you the case wasn’t going to be very convincing).

But that’s the kind of vague concern I have here: that a “maximally-terse” naming convention can be harder to extend in a way that’s both self-consistent and not-potentially-misleading.

But I don’t have a great suggestion for an additional guideline, and there may be nothing serious to worry about here, either.