[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0023 API Design Guidelines

Charles Kissinger crk at akkyra.com
Sun Jan 24 10:53:29 CST 2016

> This discussion of acronyms does raise a different issue, though. I would suggest expanding the “Avoid abbreviations” section of the API Design Guidelines a bit to make a clear distinction between truncating words just to shorten identifiers (bad) and using common acronyms (good). You don’t want people thinking they’re being advised to do this:
>
> var hyperTextMarkupLanguageElement = HyperTextMarkupLanguageElement()

Sorry, I think my over-the-top example completely undermined the point I was trying to make. “HTML” and other common acronyms are clearly not being discouraged in the current guideline. But there is no acronym so obscure it can’t easily be found on the internet. So what abbreviations are you discouraging? Truncations like Str or Len? Or is this guideline really just about acronyms and not making up your own? I just thought it could be more clear.

—CK