[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Eliminating Swift's Screaming Snake Case Identifiers

David Owens II david at owensd.io
Fri Jan 22 15:08:21 CST 2016

> On Jan 22, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Erica Sadun via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> And some other feedback off list:
>
> - Why have individual keywords if they are subsumed into a common representation?
>     I would not personally object to simplifying things without the extra keywords
>
> - Eliminate #column entirely?
>     No one I know ("Pauline Kael") uses it, but presumably it was designed in there for a reason

Getting rid of #column or __COLUMN__ seems extremely arbitrary; it’s very useful when providing debug output. Why would you remove it?

This is a trivial example, but you’d have no easy way to tell which err’ed:

func err(line: Int = __LINE__, column: Int = __COLUMN__) {
    print("err: \(line):\(column)")
}

if true { err() } else { err() }

The value of __LINE__ to #line is marginal. However, the collapse to a #sourceLocation structure of some sort that contained the info would be fantastic.

-David