[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Partial initializers

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Jan 21 23:16:28 CST 2016

> On Jan 21, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 20, 2016, at 8:51 PM, Slava Pestov via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Adding more details…

>> If we just go with @_transparent functions for partial initialization, there are no new rules to add regarding ABI resilience. :-)
>
> Ignoring the fact that @_transparent isn’t a user feature, I don’t see how this helps.  Mandatory inlining of @_transparent happens after DI runs.

Sorry, I didn’t see that Jordan brought this up down-thread: He’s exactly right.  We don’t *want* mandatory inlining to run before DI (it used to, and it was a mess).  Doing that just makes the DI model more complex and less predictable for users.

I’m not sold on the notion of partial initializers in the first place, but if we were to go down this path, the approach of nailing down the exact initialization behavior and requirements of the partial initializer - and making it part of its explicitly declared interface - is the right way to go.

-Chris