[swift-evolution] Language feature for progress tracking (was: Pitch: Progress Tracking in Swift)

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Jan 21 16:09:23 CST 2016

on Wed Jan 20 2016, Dave Abrahams <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> on Sun Jan 17 2016, Charles Srstka via swift-evolution
> <swift-evolution-m3FHrko0VLzYtjvyW6yDsg-AT-public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Introduction:
>>
>> This is a proposal for a native progress-tracking mechanism in Swift.

<schnipp>

>> What do you all think?
>
> I think this is really out-of-scope for swift-evolution.  There's little
> chance we'd want something like this in the standard library in the near
> term.  It's really Foundation's domain.

My apologies, I didn't read your post all the way down to where you
proposed a language feature.  I suggest that you make that clear near
the top of the message and/or in the subject line.

My (slightly more considered) feedback on this proposal is that we're
unlikely to add a language feature *specifically* for progress
reporting.  Rather, we'd like to have language features that allow users
to build features like this one as libraries.  Some kind of (hygienic)
macro system comes to mind.

-Dave