[swift-evolution] named parameters - why hidden first?/proposal interest

Charles Constant charles at charlesism.com
Thu Jan 21 14:33:32 CST 2016

> say("hello")
>
> is a big improvement, which IMO perfectly illustrates why we want the
> default as it is.

Maybe so, but there just has to be some way to do this that doesn't bake
the design into the entirety of the Swift language. Is there some way Apple
could implement this that only affects Swift imports/exports with Obj-C?
Maybe there's not, but if there is, that seems like a better option.

If Obj-C had never existed, would any sane person ever have suggested that
Swift treat the first parameter differently than the rest? It kinda makes
sense with Obj-C syntax, but it stands out like a sore thumb in Swift.

I think little quirks like this are seriously damaging to the language.
Because of the massive scope of Swift, "death by a thousand paper cuts" is
a real thing.