[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Built-in "bridge" feature

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 01:35:39 CST 2016

I don't really like this feature; I see it as one of those "more brevity in
exchange for less clarity" features that are an anti-goal of the project.
If a bug is caused by a type conversion, I want to be able to narrow the
offending conversion to an explicit call, not have to guess at which point
the compiler decided to insert a conversion, which conversion was inserted,
or whether one of my dependencies might be exporting a conversion I wasn't
aware of.

There was also a thread some time ago where one of the developers stated
that adding general implicit conversions to Swift would make building a
performant type checker impossible, but I can't find it.

One major exception I can think of is QoL issues when working with numbers
and arithmetic, for example automatically widening integers, but there's a
separate project working on redesigning that aspect of the language.

Best,
Austin