[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Property behaviors

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Wed Jan 20 17:17:50 CST 2016

>>> That's a possibility, but inserting initializer calls is a bit more heroic than what our current definite initialization implementation can do. That's not necessarily a showstopper, but it was a goal of the current design to avoid inserting accessor calls within inits at hard-to-predict places. (cc'ing ChrisL, to get his opinion on this as DI owner)
>>
>> Makes sense.  Getting the behavior I would like to see out of a `phase2Immutable` behavior would definitely require updates to the DI rules.  I think the added safety makes it worth doing something in this area eventually, but it could be added later.  I’m interested to hear what Chris thinks.
>
> I think it's important that delayed initialization also accommodate initialization *after* init() returns. There are many cases where full initialization depends on a process outside of init's control, especially in Cocoa with objects and outlets set up from nib files.

I don’t really consider that to be initialization in the current sense.  IMO, without extending our DI model, a “delayed” behavior for a property of type T is best modeled with storage for T?, which is implicitly initialized to nil.  The getter would do a force unwrap of the optional, and the setter would check that the storage is nil before assigning over it.

If/when we have support for a more dynamic initialization (e.g. dynamic typestate) then we could expand this to use it, but I don’t see how it would provide a functionally different model.

-Chris