[swift-evolution] Partially Constrained Protocols [Was: [Proposal] Separate protocols and interfaces]

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Tue Jan 19 12:47:31 CST 2016

> On Jan 19, 2016, at 7:49 AM, Maximilian Hünenberger <m.huenenberger at me.com> wrote:
>
> I like the idea to use protocol<> for an abstraction with many constrained protocols but for a single type constraint it is a bit verbose.
>
> What about generics in protocols which are only a view to its associated types or generics which create/are associated types?

Since I imagine reusing generics syntax for constraining protocols will be a popular proposal, I figure I’ll give the reasoning I personally didn’t use, at it for my initial placeholder syntax.

The main reason l chose an alternate syntax was that generic type usage and protocol constraints aren’t expressed the same way - protocol constraints on associated types aren’t positional and can be missing. This meant that ConcreteThing<…> and ProtocolType<…> would have different syntaxes inside the angle brackets, and thus felt like it would promote more syntax bike shedding (in addition to personally seeming less clean to me).

Using ProtocolType<…> syntax would I believe be the 5th syntactic usage for <...> (generic type declaration, generic type use, generic constraints on methods, protocol union and now generic protocol use). Swift gets away with the multiple usages today because the syntax within the angle brackets is very similar. Expanding protocol unions meant I stayed closer to generic constraint syntax, while still having was only four syntactic usages (as in, protocol unions would umbrella under/into partial protocol constraints as a new existential type redefinition “thing")

As an example, the liberties I took with SequenceType took it down to a single associated type, but CollectionType would still have a minimum of Index and Element. I would need to declare CollectionType<where .Index == Index> or similar if I were wishing to partially constrain just one parameter. This is also eliminates most of the typing savings of using generic type usage syntax.

Finally and to a lesser degree, the parameters for a generic type define a single concrete type, while for a protocol it defines a view of some concrete type. Today I can intuit Foo<String> is the name of a concrete type. During proposal, there was more value in having a placeholder syntax that did not damage intuition about concrete types.

-DW