[swift-evolution] Custom summary for Mirrors?

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 19:58:03 CST 2016

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the insight, I think we're on the same page overall. Responses inline.

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 9:56 AM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Austin, I think we should discuss it here.
>
> First off, dump() was really just added as a proof-of-concept by Joe
> Groff when he implemented the original mirror system.  We decided to
> keep it around because it seemed like it might be useful for somebody,
> but one possibility to consider is that it should be retired.

Regarding 'dump()', if it was intended 'just' a proof of concept I agree with you - it makes sense to consider retirement. Perhaps designing a replacement (if one should exist at all) should be considered alongside the larger overhaul of the reflection system covered in SR-88. It is used quite extensively in the test suite as a way to quickly validate the structure of instances under test, so removing it would require refactoring many of the unit tests.

Agreed, I think we can easily do it internally for the use cases that are most important (collections, certain built-in types), etc. It's probably out-of-scope for the PR I have out right now (https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-88 <https://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-88>), but maybe I can sketch an implementation and we can discuss further on swift-dev. (Since it's all internal changes and no public-facing API changes the entire swift-evolution process probably isn't necessary.) LMK if you think that's the best way to proceed.

> I don't think it's worth worrying about breakage from adding a
> CustomDebugStringConvertible conformance to CGRect.

Okay, that makes sense. Since it's a public-facing API change, though, I should bring it up on the evolution list and write a proposal. I can do that tonight if that's the most sensible way forward.

Best,
Austin