[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Partial initializers

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Mon Jan 18 08:46:18 CST 2016

> On Jan 15, 2016, at 10:12 PM, David Owens II <david at owensd.io> wrote:
>
> I like the updates. I think the distinction between partial inits and init functions is extremely subtle. The only difference is that partial init can set `let` members, correct?

Hi David, glad you like the changes.

Yes, that is the only difference, aside from the declaration syntax.  It would be better if we didn’t need two separate forms but either one would sacrifice desirable functionality.

Giving up the ability to initialize a `let` is unacceptable IMO.  Giving up the ability to share code that initializes `var` properties with post-initialization callers is also undesirable.

I considered having only once concept and allowing it to be called post-initialization if it only initializes `var` properties but I don’t like that approach.  The compiler wouldn’t be able to check intent at the site of declaration (i.e. an init func that attempts to assign to a `let`) and it wouldn’t be clear to users which partial initializers could be called post-initialization and which cannot.

That leaves us with the need for two very similar concepts.  The only reasonable alternative seems to be dropping `init func`.  I would do that it if it became a hurdle to accepting the proposal, but I think it will be a common use case and is worth including.

Do you have any further thoughts?  Do you agree with the decision I made here?

> The only feedback I really have is that this makes the initialization rules even more complicated. I don't know how to address that though. =)

Agree, the rules are essential complexity if we want safe initialization.

I think the small incremental increase in complexity is a worthwhile price to pay for the ability to factor initialization code.  This is especially true if we’re going to add stored properties in extensions.  I wouldn’t want to see a situation where we could have partial initializers, but only when we move some properties into an extension.

I hope you agree.

-Matthew