[swift-evolution] Proposal: Adding precedence option for prefix and postfix operators

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Sun Jan 17 11:17:26 CST 2016

Even though `-3 ** 2` seems to equal 9 but see this result: http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-3+%5E+2&x=0&y=0

So this behavior forces you to set correct parenthesis around numbers with a minus sign: (-3) ** 2
In order to make -3 ** 2 visually less ambiguous we could allow (or even require) prefix operators to have a white space separator:
- 3 ** 2

Another example:

3 * -4
Would be in this case also ambiguous for the compiler since `*` and `-` have the same precedence and you are forced to write it as:
3 * (-4)
Which is also mathematically more correct

I just noticed that
3 - -4
Is still unambiguous.
If the precedence of prefix - would be the same as infix `+` and `-` all cases I can think of are ambiguous so you are forced to use correct mathematical syntax:
3 - (-4)

Which could also be an indicator to rewrite it to
3 + 4
And 3 + (-4) to 3 - 4

- Maximilian