[swift-evolution] Compiler should generate code base on the functions that have default values

肇鑫 owenzx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:09:03 CST 2016

It is not to *conform to the same function name but with  different
signatures*. It is the protocol limits in current Swift. You can implement
a protocol function with default values. But the protocol can't call the
function with the default value. So you have to add another function that
has no argument in the protocol and change the implementation.

current code:

protocol A {

    func printSomething(something:String)

}

struct Foo:A {

    func printSomething(something:String = "some thing") {

        print(something)

Foo().printSomething() // some thing

(Foo() as A).printSomething() // Missing argument for parameter #1 in call

default value part is widely discussed in this thread
<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160111/006798.html>,
including other approaches like protocol extension.

zhaoxin