[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Allow protocols to require functions with default parameter values.

davesweeris at mac.com davesweeris at mac.com
Sat Jan 16 13:32:35 CST 2016

Instead of adding stuff to the protocol declaration, can we add it to the object definition?

Right now, IMHO, there’s a bug in the way protocols and functions w/ default parameters interact (or rather, don’t)…

Say I have this protocol (which, BTW, I end up adding to a lot of my projects for providing default values):
protocol Initable {
    init()
}
// Along with most other builtin types I use
extension Int : Initable {}

and this class:
class Variable <T: Initable> {
    var value: T
    let name: String
    init(path: String = __FILE__, line: Int = __LINE__) {
        self.value = T()
        self.name = getDeclNameFromSource(path: path, line: line)
    }
    init(_ value: T, path: String = __FILE__, line: Int = __LINE__) {
        self.value = value
        self.name = getDeclNameFromSource(path: path, line: line)
    }
    init(name: String, value: T) {
        self.value = value
        self.name = name

Now, `Initable` says* that
var x = T() // where T: Initable, of course

 is valid code. Do you know what else is valid?
var x = Variable<Int>() // Hooray! Default values!

Yet, despite the fact that, from the API user’s point of view, `Variable` already has everything it needs to conform to `Initable`, you can’t write “extension Variable : Initable” without either getting a non-conformance error or, if you then add init() { fatalError() }, getting an “ambiguous expression” error wherever you actually try to call Variable(). And this is the bug: If your protocol `Foo` has a function `foo(X)`, and your type has a function `foo(Y)` where Y can be turned into X through the use of default parameters, then it’s impossible for your type to conform to `Foo`, even though you could use it as a `Foo` in your code. In practice, I think this only matters if you’re using “macros” like __LINE__ or something as your default parameter, but it’s still annoying (to me, anyway).

I think we might be able to kill two birds with one stone here… What if protocol conformance had to be declared and it was done implicitly for anything for which there was already a perfect match?
extension Int : Initable {
    // Implicitly generated because Int.init() (with no default parameters) already exists
    conformance {
	//(protocol_identifier).(requirement_indentifer) = (expression)
        Initable.init() = init() // or really any expression that evaluates to an Int

Then we could get both your default parameter support (I think) and fix this “bug of non-intuitivity” (which people keep telling me isn’t really a bug because of what protocols actually mean*) simply by being able to explicitly write it out:
class Variable <T: Initable> : Initable {
    // Must be explicitly written, since in this case there’s no literal match
    conformance {
        Initable.init() = init(_ value: T, path: String = __FILE__, line: Int = __LINE__)
    }
    …
}

In theory, we could also use this for optimizations:
private let _default_int_: Int = 0
extension Int : Initable {
    conformance {
        Initable.init() = _default_int_ //why bother with a function call when you could substitute a constant?

I don’t know how deep into the compiler this “conformance” clause would have to be carried… The generic specializer would certainly need it, but I don’t know enough about how that works to say how much this would actually change anything…

- Dave Sweeris

* Yes, I know that protocol conformance is about the actual function signatures and not just what the compiler can deduce… My point is that, IMHO, it’s counter-intuitive to be able to get the same “user-level” signature, but not be able to semantically express that to the compiler.