[swift-evolution] Dot notation as shorthand in subscripts and functions

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.com
Sat Jan 16 05:19:05 CST 2016

Hmm, that’s a shame, as other than switch cases I don’t use the leading-dot notation for anything else; personally I’d find it much more useful as a shorthand for cutting boilerplate around instances, as they can more easily become nested deeply than statics.

That said, I disagree that this behaviour would mean that it will “always” conflict; as with an enum argument it will still only conflict if the type has both a local and static item with exactly the same name.

In your example, textColor’s type would need to have both a static and local .whiteColor() that could result in ambiguity, which seems unlikely. If there’s only a static whiteColor then there’s no ambiguity.