[swift-evolution] [Proposal draft] Importing Objective-C Lightweight Generics

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Sat Jan 16 01:28:38 CST 2016

There is already a model in place for casting NSArrays to Swift arrays of Foundation types. Casting a NSArray with the `as?` operator eagerly checks every value in the array; casting with the `as!` operator to a Swift array always succeeds.

> import Foundation
>
> let array = [42, "the meaning of life"] as AnyObject // (also works with NSArray, [AnyObject]
> print("array as? [NSNumber] = \(array as? [NSNumber])") // "... = nil"
> let converted = array as! [NSNumber]
> print("as! succeeded")

This proposal's "Impact on existing code" doesn't address how the new casting model interacts with the NSArray casting model. Specifically:

will there be a compile-time error because I'm casting from AnyObject to a typed array?
will it be error to write "array as? [NSNumber]", or only an error to write "array as? NSArray<NSNumber>", or a special case?

Finally, this doesn't seem to be specified, but I'm assuming that in case MySet<NSNumber> (to take your example) turned out to be a MySet<NSString>, I'm assuming that the crash will occur when trying to access an element?

Félix