[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0020 Swift Language Version Build Configuration

David Owens II david at owensd.io
Fri Jan 15 20:47:15 CST 2016

They are similar in that they are trying to restrict codeflow based on external conditions.

Today we have #if os(), #if arch(), plus the ability to set build configuration identifiers. And now there is a new proposal to add #if swift().

Keep the #available() and @available() runtime versions. What I'm saying is add #if available() as a compile-time version and generalize the current uses of the #if usages (these could happen migration steps and don't need to necessarily happen all at once).

When packages start working, it's very easy to see use cases where we want to do the same thing based on package name and version. Build configurations identifiers aren't sufficient for it (version comparison, for instance). So instead needing to propose another construct, #if package(), is there a way to generalize the pattern we are already seeing that could still fit in the scope of this proposal? I think so.

Sent from my iPhone