[swift-evolution] Active Objects | Actors | Synchronisations

Javier Soto javier.api at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 17:13:08 CST 2016

I'm personally super excited about Swift adopting some kind of concurrency
abstraction. However, the team has indicated that this is our of scope for
Swift 3: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/README.md

On the other hand, there's been a lot of library innovation in this area,
so I think it's good it'll take some more time for any of this to happen in
the language itself, since some of these ideas could mature before
committing them into the language.
On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 7:24 PM Suminda Dharmasena via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Unlike in Java a better model for synchronisation would be active objects
> where you can specify groupings of parallelism or serialism, i.e., being
> able to specify that calls to a group of functions can only happen one
> after the other.
>
> Perhaps this can be in the form of an attribute. E.g.
> @active(group="ObjXYZStateChange") or @actor(receive="aFunc")
>

> Suminda

Javier Soto