[swift-evolution] Proposal: XCTest Support for Swift Error Handling

Jérôme Duquennoy jerome+swift at duquennoy.fr
Thu Jan 14 16:40:22 CST 2016

This though comes from the rules applied in my dev team : one of those rules specifies a pretty strict formatting of unit tests, with the three different parts, separated by an empty line : setup, execute (most often one single line for unit tests, highlighted by an "// Execution" comment) and validation. The validation part regroups asserts, and can mix validation on a thrown error and on the status of an object.
This requires that the thrown error is stored in a variable at execution time, to be accessible at validation time.
This strict and consistent formatting across tests is very pleasant : it makes it easy to read tests, and analyse failures. It is a time gain when tests go red :-).

But I understand that this is a local development rule, and such rules are very different between teams.
Maybe having both possibilities (the error handling bloc and the return variable) would be ideal : it would fit all situations.

Jérôme