[swift-evolution] Epic: Typesafe calculations

Stephen Canon scanon at apple.com
Thu Jan 14 09:19:00 CST 2016

Even with cancellation, the number of bits required to represent the exact terms involved in computing the inverse grow like O(n log n) in the typical case, IIRC.  So exact arithmetic rapidly becomes unfeasible for even modestly large matrices.

Aside from purely symbolic matrices that come up in theoretical physics and matrices over finite fields, the entries of a matrix are rarely known exactly, so the rich set of approximate-rank-revealing and numerically stable methods that we have for floating-point turn out to be much more useful anyway.

That’s not to say that it isn’t fun to play around with these concepts, of course =)

– Steve