[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] Naming Functions with Argument Labels

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Wed Jan 13 22:05:33 CST 2016

	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I am in favor of this proposal.

	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

The proposal has a more narrow scope than the original, but I think it addresses the problem it is trying to solve which is the ability to name functions with argument labels unambiguously.

	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

This new version is simpler than the original and the notation is elegant, concise and consistent with the Swift language. It does not address naming property getters / setters but I am guessing that is outside the scope of this proposal and being addressed by Lens.

	* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I've used Objective-C which Swift integrates with extensively. This is very similar to the naming of selectors and for that reason I think it will work well for mapping method names between Objective-C and Swift.

	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read the original proposal and a lot of the emails. I had my reservations about the notation originally proposed and specially the back ticks. I wasn't sure if I liked it. However, now that the proposal has a more narrow scope, and the notation has been changed, I think it strikes the right balance that Swift is known for: elegant, concise and consistent.