[swift-evolution] Epic: Typesafe calculations

Stephen Canon scanon at apple.com
Wed Jan 13 13:16:02 CST 2016

… in exact arithmetic, not in floating-point, which is what people tend to actually use for matrices.  For that matter, the entire notion of “invertible” as a binary attribute is problematic when dealing with approximate arithmetic; a matrix may be formally invertible but so ill-conditioned that the result is effectively meaningless.

Not really trying to shoot you down, just observing that this is an extremely subtle example with lots of hidden sharp edges.

– Steve