[swift-evolution] [Review] Naming Functions with Argument Labels

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Wed Jan 13 12:51:46 CST 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I like it quite a bit.

It uses very readable syntax and covers most cases (I’m glad to see the backticks are gone).  Requiring a typing context for disambiguation when the labels are not sufficient seems like a reasonable approach.

I would really like to see a solution for getter/setters in Swift 3 but agree that lenses are the right approach to that and it would be an independent proposal.

I agree that the general partial application syntax is unnecessary.  It might be nice to have something a bit cleaner than $0 for shorthand in closures someday and _ might work for that, however it is an orthogonal topic.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read both drafts of the proposal and followed the discussion on the list.