[swift-evolution] Bridging the gap between protocols and protocol extensions

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Wed Jan 13 00:42:13 CST 2016

> I have put a proposal in for generic protocols and covariant generics:
>
> 	[swift-evolution] Make generics covariant and add generics to	protocols
>
> This proposal requires that protocol functions are dynamically dispatched, i.e. it would require this change.

What you propose is a fairly serious redesign of how protocols handle related types; I'm trying to focus on changes that hopefully are relatively uncontroversial and mostly straightforwardly extend what currently exists.

(Frankly, I'm also not in favor of replacing associated types, because I think they're a far better fit for the task than generics. But I don't want to derail this thread into a critique of your proposal.)

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies