[swift-evolution] Make generics covariant and add generics to protocols

Maximilian Hünenberger m.huenenberger at me.com
Tue Jan 12 15:16:40 CST 2016

1+ for adding generics to protocols.

What about generics in protocols which are only a view to its associated types or generics which create/are associated types?

Example of a simple protocol which models a node of a tree:

// Before

// NodeType can be anything
// currently Swift doesn't allow
// `typealias NodeType: Node`
//
// or even where clauses
// `typealias NodeType: Node where NodeType.T == T`
protocol Node {
	typealias T
	typealias NodeType

	var value: T { get }
	var nodes: [NodeType] { get }
}

// After
protocol Node<T> {
	typealias T // probably remove this declaration
	var value: T { get }
	var nodes: [Node<T>] { get }
}

So a generic parameter is placed after the protocol name. Therefore a corresponding associated type could be synthesized making its declaration in the body of the protocol unnecessary.

In order to let

	func afunction<S: SequenceType where S.Generator.Element == Int>(s: S){}

still compile there could be a general Swift feature to get the generic type by dot syntax (e.g. synthesized typealiases for every generic parameter).

The function declaration above could be rewritten to using function like parameter syntax:

    func afunction(s: SequenceType<Generator: GeneratorType<Int>, SubSequence: _>){}
    // or omitting `SubSequence: _` since the type is already unambiguous
    func afunction(s: SequenceType<Generator: GeneratorType<Int>>){}

in this case there is almost no win. But as you can see in the example with the protocol, generics allow for much better abstraction.

Also where clauses could be used in generic parameter declarations which are disallowed for associated types.

Maximilian

> Am 12.01.2016 um 19:19 schrieb Jordan Rose via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> Agreed on both counts. Generics are more familiar but don't actually cover the use cases where the associated type is not independent of the model object (like a Sequence's Generator or a Collection's Index). Dropping that information results in a lot of extra indirection at runtime, which we don't want.
>
> Jordan
>

>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 8:17, Austin Zheng via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Strong -1, covariance on generics should be explicitly opt-in. Also -1 on generics replacing associated types in protocols.
>>
>> Austin
>>
>>> On Jan 12, 2016, at 1:45 AM, Howard Lovatt via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Currently you generics are invariant whereas function arguments etc. are covariant. I am suggesting that if the way generics are implemented is changed then they can be made covariant and that this will add considerable utility to Swift generics.
>>>
>>> 1st a demonstration of the current situation of invariant generics:
>>>
>>>     // Current system
>>>     class Top {}
>>>     class Bottom: Top {}
>>>
>>>     struct Box<T: AnyObject> {
>>>         var value: T
>>>         init(_ initialValue: T) {
>>>             value = initialValue;
>>>         }
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     let boxB = Box(Bottom())
>>>     // let boxT: Box<Top> = boxB // Covariance currently not allowed
>>>
>>> The key point is although `Bottom` 'is a’ `Top`, `Box<Bottom>` *is not* a `Box<Top>`.
>>>
>>> I am suggesting:
>>>
>>> 1. That `Box<Bottom>` should be a `Box<Top>` (covariance).
>>> 2. An implementation that allows the above covariance.
> [...]
>>>     // Best approximation of resulting code in current Swift to demonstrate spirit of idea:
>>>
>>>     // Compiler writes a universal form using the upper bound (it writes the underlyting representation).
>>>     // In practice this would be called `Box` but used `BoxAnyObject` to indicate that it has a generic argument bounded by `AnyObject`.
>>>     struct BoxAnyObject {
>>>         // Generated from generic argument `<T: AnyObject>`.
>>>         let T: AnyObject.Type // Store the actual type.
>>>
>>>         // Generated from stored property `var value: T` and noting that `T`'s upper bound is `AnyObject`.
>>>         private var _value: AnyObject // Access the stored property through a setter so that type can be checked
>>>         var value: AnyObject {
>>>             get {
>>>                 return _value
>>>             }
>>>             set {
>>>                 // In all functions check that args declared as `T` are actually a `T` or a sub-type.
>>>                 // Note: `is` only works with type literal and there is no `>=` operator for types :(.
>>>                 // `is` would need changing or `>=` for types adding, nearest at moment `==`.
>>>                 precondition(T == /* >= */ newValue.dynamicType, "Type of newValue, \(newValue.dynamicType), is not a sub-type of generic type T, \(T)")
>>>                 _value = newValue
>>>             }
>>>         }
>>>
>>>         // Generated from `init(_ initialValue: T)` and noting that `T`'s upper bound is `AnyObject`.
>>>         init(_ lowestCommonDeclaredT: AnyObject.Type, _ initialValue: AnyObject) {
>>>             T = lowestCommonDeclaredT
>>>             _value = initialValue
>>>         }
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     // Demonstrate that all `Box`es are the same size and therefore can be bitwise copied
>>>     // Compiler supplies lowest-common, declared, generic type for all the `T`s in the `init` call.
>>>     var bT = BoxAnyObject(Top.self, Top()) // In practice user would write `let bT = Box(Top())`.
>>>     bT.T // Top.Type
>>>     sizeofValue(bT) // 16
>>>
>>>     var bB = BoxAnyObject(Bottom.self, Bottom()) // In practice user would write `let bB = Box(Bottom())`.
>>>     bB.T // Bottom.Type
>>>     sizeofValue(bB) // 16
>>>
>>>     // Demonstration covariance.
>>>     bT = bB // Compiler would check covariance of declared generic types.
>>>     bT.T // Bottom.Type
>>>
>>>     // Demonstrate generic returned type
>>>     // Compiler would add cast to declared, generic type.
>>>     bB.value as! Bottom // In practice user would write `bB.value`.
>>>
>>>     // Demonstrate type safety
>>>     bT = BoxAnyObject(Top.self, Top()) // In practice user would write `bT = Box(Top())`.
>>>     bT.value = Top() // OK
>>>     // bT.value = Bottom() // Doesn't work at present because need `>=` for types, but would work in practice
>>>     // bB.value = Top() // Runtime error - wrong type
>>>
>>> The implications of this proposal are:
>>>
>>> 1. The compiler can statically type check a read from a stored property.
>>> 2. A write to a stored property is type checked at runtime.
>>> 3. Protocols can be made generic instead of having an associated type and then they become a proper type with dynamic dispatch.
>>> 4. Generic protocols can be a type just like non-generic protocols, structs, and classes and unlike associated type protocols that can only be a generic constraint.
>>> 5. The awkwardness of dealing with associated type generics is replaced by a more powerful and easier to understand semantic of a type, just like the other types.
>>> 6. There is a lot of ‘non-obvoius’, long code, for example `inits`, that use a `where` clause to constrain an associated type protocol, this would be unnecessary.
>>> 7. There are whole types, `AnySequence`, `AnyGenerator`, etc., that would be replaced by a generic protocols, `Sequence`, `Generator`, etc.
>>>
>>> Advantages:
>>>
>>> 1. Covariant generics are a powerful addition to the language.
>>> 2. Generics’ invariance are inconsistent with the rest of the language.
>>> 3. Generic protocols would become a ‘proper’ type and you could have arrays and fields of a generic protocol.