[swift-evolution] [Draft proposal] Faster/lower-level external String initialization

Zach Waldowski zach at waldowski.me
Tue Jan 12 14:22:57 CST 2016

Max,

Seems like a fantastic change, if indeed the move is made from
UnsafePointer to UnsafeBufferPointer! That still doesn't cover the case
where you'd be doing code-unit level transforms (i.e., for custom
encoding schemes in some formats, like the Unicode escapes in JSON), but
that can probably also be done at the String level after-the-fact.

Awesome change, though! It'd be a shame to have to wait until 3.0 for it
to land.

--
Zach Waldowski
zach at waldowski.me