[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Janosch Hildebrand jnosh at jnosh.com
Mon Jan 11 17:09:27 CST 2016

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 07:37, Douglas Gregor via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>> On Jan 6, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
>
> It’s a well-considered and well-written proposal. I agree with the semantics of memberwise initializers (+1 to adding a reasonable implicit memberwise initializer for classes, and the ability to use default arguments in that implicit memberwise initializer). However, I would prefer to accept the semantics as improvements to the creation of the implicit memberwise initializer, so it’s a -1 to the “memberwise” specifier and “…” placeholder syntax.

Since this has been mentioned a few times now I'd like to add that I would support that as well.

I'm not really sure enough yet as to how the reviews work, so I'll ask here:

Is it possible for a subset or modified version of a proposal to be accepted or would the proposal be rejected while asking for a reduced/modified follow-up proposal?

Also are proposals always accepted or rejected, or could a proposal be returned as "needs more work, submit again later" instead of a flat out rejection?

- Janosch