[swift-evolution] Properties on Default Protocol Implementations

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Sun Jan 10 23:37:45 CST 2016

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 9:03 PM, Howard Lovatt <howard.lovatt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I suspect it is easier both for the compiler and the programmer to allow abstract classes and abstract functions within abstract classes than allowing extensions and by extension (pun intended) protocols to have stored properties.

Developers independently want the ability to add stored properties in extensions (at least for classes). The delta from that to stored properties as default implementations in protocols isn’t that large, and if it’s a better modeling of the problems abstract classes are meant to solve, that’s the right thing to do. Other than stored properties, what important problems do abstract classes solve that protocols don’t?

> There is precedence for this approach, in Scala and Java you can have their equivalents of calculated properties in protocols but not stored properties. Both Scala and Java have abstract classes and this seems to work well.

Numerous languages have abstract classes; the question is whether they are the right answer in Swift.

	- Doug