[swift-evolution] Proposal: XCTest Support for Swift Error Handling

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Sun Jan 10 19:55:15 CST 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016, at 11:18 AM, Dmitri Gribenko via swift-evolution wrote:0
> I have significant concerns about doing this.  Consider the following code:
>
> var foo = Foo() do {    XCTAssertEqual(try foo.doSomething(), 42) }
> catch {    XCTAssertEqual(foo.success, false) }
>
> Adding ‘throws’ to the autoclosures will:
>
> (1) change meaning of existing tests (the example above used to
>     proceed to the catch block in case of errors, and will start
>     failing with this change),

Did you actually test this code? Because this code *does not compile
today*. You cannot pass a throwing expression to an @autoclosure that
takes a non-throwing function. The specific error you get is

error: call can throw, but it is executed in a non-throwing autoclosure

Or use it in a throwing @autoclosure.

> Note that although (2) applies to the XCTAssertThrowsError() API,
> because the name of that API makes it clear it is doing something
> special with error handling, I’m not concerned about it.  But adding
> error handling to regular assertion functions has the potential to
> create misleading code.
>
> Changing the way control flow works breaks one of the basic language
> features — substitutability:
>
> let bar1 = try bar() foo(bar1)
>
> should be equivalent to:
>
> foo(try bar())