[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Sun Jan 10 14:28:40 CST 2016

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 10, 2016, at 11:20 AM, Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Unfortunately I’m in the wrong time zone: 8 pm CST means 3 am of the next day here in Europe and I’d rather not get up in the middle of the night :-)
> Bad luck that today you have dads duty but that’s life and there are more important things than Swift evolution. I mean that sincerely, so don’t worry about it.
>
> I hadn’t expected a full draft of your vision, I just had hoped for one or two lines to get an idea of your vision, no need to finish the draft for that.

Hi Thorsten.  I have time for a quick teaser.  It may or may not mean much without the details so watch for those tonight / in the morning.

The general approach I plan to outline uses partial initializers, concise syntax for declaring memberwise partial initializers, a general parameter forwarding mechanism, and sugar for directly forwarding to a partial initializer.  Obviously this is more than just one proposal.

There is a very clear and straightforward migration path from the current proposal to the general solution if the necessary features are accepted.

More on this later tonight.

Matthew