[swift-evolution] Proposal: XCTest Support for Swift Error Handling

Drew Crawford drew at sealedabstract.com
Sun Jan 10 04:29:50 CST 2016

I have on the order of ~700 tests in XCTest in Swift-language projects.  I'm considering migrating away from XCTest, although not over this issue.

This proposal IMO addresses an important problem, but I am not convinced it actually solves it.  #2 & #3 are basically sound API designs.  It is a mystery to me why #3 "generated some debate" as this is a feature I already implement manually, but I can't address unknown concerns.  I can tell you I implement this, and nothing terrible has happened to me so far.

#1 I would not use.  The rest of this comment explains why.

Currently I write tests about like this:

try! hopefullyNothingBad()

Now this is "bad" because it "crashes" but that's (big sigh) actually "good" because the debugger stops and/or I get a crash report that identifies at least "some" line where something bad definitely happened.

Now that is not everything I want to know–I want someone to tell me a story of how this error was created deep down in the bowels of my application, how it spent its kindergarten years in the models layer before being passed into a controller where it was rethrown onto a different dispatch queue and finally ended up in my unit test–but we can't have everything.  So I settle for collecting a line number from the test case and then going hunting by hand.

When the test function throws we no longer even find out a line number in the test case anymore, because the error is passed into XCTest and the information is lost.  We have just the name of the test case (I assume; the proposal is silent on this issue, but that's the only way I can think of to implement it), and some of my tests are pretty long.  So, that makes it even harder to track down.

This sounds like a small thing but my test coverage is so thorough on mature projects that mostly what I turn up are heisenbugs that reproduce with 2% probability.  So getting the report from the CI that has the most possible detail is critical, because if the report is not thorough enough for you to guess the bug, too bad, because that's all the information you get and the bug is not reproducible.

For that reason, I won't use #1.  I hesitate about whether to call it bad idea altogether, or whether it's just not to my taste.  My sense is it's probably somewhere in the middle of those two poles.

I would use #2 and #3, assuming that I don't first migrate out to a non-XCTest framework.