[swift-evolution] Low-level Swift

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sat Jan 9 19:19:32 CST 2016

> On Jan 9, 2016, at 12:27 PM, Goffredo Marocchi <panajev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> For many, this is also the era of domain specific languages and I think that maybe Swift's aspirational goal of doing everything (scaling from low level device driver code, to rapid prototyping, to graphically rich and versatile application, to embedded devices, etc...) might put a big burden on the language and on the compiler.

Yes, this goal is loaded with engineering/design tradeoffs that we will have to carefully balance.

> Do you see Swift putting more and more emphasis to interoperability with other languages which might have better characteristic at dealing with a specific domain than Swift does currently with maybe also some push to extend those languages to inter operate better and better?

Swift currently has pretty great interop with C and ObjC through the ClangImporter.  Extending that to C++ is natural once we have time to tackle it and do it right.

I see no reason that we couldn’t have importers for other languages implemented in the same way.  For example, it would be very interesting for swift to be able to import a Java or C# package and just call methods directly on their objects, just like we do for ObjC.

-Chris