[swift-evolution] Bridging the gap between protocols and protocol extensions

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sat Jan 9 19:17:11 CST 2016

> I am not familiar with this so I can't comment specifically, but I would just like to mention that (with apologies to whoever might eventually have to implement this) the compiler is meant to serve the programmer, not the other way around.

Certainly, but the programmer will be ill-served if the compiler can only implement this with a very slow dispatch, or an expensive mandatory translation of protocol instances accessed across module lines, or with gaping semantic defects, or by dropping a dozen more-desirable features to implement it. And if it just can't be done, then it doesn't matter how well the compiler would serve the programmer by offering it.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies