[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Accepted] SE-0011 Replace `typealias` keyword with `associatedtype` for associated type declarations

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Sat Jan 9 17:24:20 CST 2016

In the previous thread on this topic, there was a lot of bikeshedding
about the specific keyword. A bunch of people (myself included)
suggested just "associated" instead, some people suggested a few
alternatives (like "type" or "associated type"). I don't recall if
anyone actually explicitly said they prefer the given name
"associatedtype", though there were of course people who voted +1
without opining on the subject at all.

In any case, my point is, given that this proposal is now accepted, are
we committed to the keyword "associatedtype" or is there still room to
pick a different keyword? Enough people in the thread were in favor of
using a different keyword that it seems worth considering.

-Kevin Ballard