[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Fri Jan 8 13:18:38 CST 2016

On Jan 7, 2016, at 12:10 AM, Paul Ossenbruggen <possen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a few hopefully quick questions:
>
> Do you have any thoughts on supporting two forms? Like the compact form where case and default are not present, and the more formal switch like form?

Adding two forms seems very unlikely to be accepted - even adding one form is unclear :-)

> Do you have any specific reasons to not support “where”? Is it just to keep it simple and when we need more complexity use the statement form?

I don’t have a strong objection to where, other than trying to keep things simple.  It is reasonable to argue that removing “where” makes things more complex by making the expression *different* from the statement though.

-Chris