[swift-evolution] Proposal: named invariants for variable declarations

Dennis Weissmann dennis at dennisweissmann.me
Fri Jan 8 11:16:07 CST 2016

> As far as type system enhancements go, refinement types look very interesting as a possible direction supporting the kind of thing discussed in this thread.  I don’t expect enhancements like this will be considered any time soon though.

So do I. Refinement types are very interesting and promising (I have a radar open on that) and I think that powerful type systems are the future.

However, what do you (all) think about going one step further and introducing dependent types (Disclaimer: I’m not at all an expert on dependent types - just learning Idris right now.)?

“Dependent types” basically means that types are first-class citizens (i.e. they can be passed as arguments, returned from functions and be used and manipulated just like values) and can be computed from (or be dependent on) a value.

This allows (e.g.) for
making sure you’re not accessing an array’s element that is out of bounds (without runtime checks)
validating that a string conforms to a specific DSL (e.g. Regular expressions, Autolayout, printf-like strings [e.g. NSLocalizedString])
calculate types of functions (e.g. the number and type of it’s arguments, the return type) based on one or more values
formally proving a program (or a function) correct
And all this happens at compile time!

Just like refinement types they can be used where you *want* (or need) them (data model, etc.) but you don’t have to use them (e.g. UI).

This is not (if at all) gonna happen anytime soon but maybe it’s worth discussing this change now (at least superficially) as it touches upon some of the discussions in other threads, too. In addition to that, I have no idea whether or not dependent types (or refinement types for that matter) have an implication on the language ABI which will be finalized later this year - so maybe we need to discuss a bit of this now to make sure nothing prevents it from being implemented in the future.

- Dennis