[swift-evolution] Proposal: Add "none" and simplify the language.

Amir Michail a.michail at me.com
Fri Jan 8 11:19:31 CST 2016

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Taras Zakharko <taras.zakharko at uzh.ch> wrote:
>
> I am strongly agains this proposal. It makes the language more complex, contrary to what you are suggesting, as it makes the semantics of variables less transparent, introduces additional keyword as well as has detrimental effects on language safety. Overall, your proposal is exactly what optionals do, with optionals being strongly superior.
>
> Your example (restarting a game without creating a new model object) is simply bad design. You should design your application around sets of inherently valid states, not patch the state with error-prone runtime checks.

A better example would be restarting a game that uses a custom widget for its main display and where this custom widget is always present and contains a significant amount of state to reset.

It would be convenient to automatically reset all variables (excluding those in super) to uninitialized so that you can easily find initialization bugs when reseting the game.