[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Matthew Johnson matthew at anandabits.com
Thu Jan 7 19:42:53 CST 2016

> On Jan 7, 2016, at 7:25 PM, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:
>
>> We will probably have warning flags eventually.
>
> I don't know what makes you think so. The language has so far carefully avoided this, and we've heard some pretty strong statements from the core team against the idea of compiler flags and incompatible dialects.

Warning flags are much different than dialect flags.

Maybe we will get by without them, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons that different people want the compiler to tell them about different things in their code.  An alternate possibility might be to put this kind of thing in an external tool that can be invoked as part of the build system.

Regardless of implementation, I think we are likely to see tools of some kind that integrate with the build system and highlight different issues for different teams.