[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 14:14:19 CST 2016

> using more generally useful language features I think we are going to eventually want for argument forwarding and compile-time metaprogramming anyway.
So how about just delaying everything for a while?
Imho there is no need to change the init-syntax overhasty, and afaics, this is a huge piece of work compared to other proposals.
It is much easier to use a little script that turns

let value: Int//=42
var x: Float?//!

into

let value: Int//=42
var x: Float?//!

init(value: Int = 42, x: Float) {
	self.value = value
	self.x = x
}

Nothing else can be as flexible and easy to understand at the same time, and the language itself can stay as it is until a convincing solution emerges.

Tino