[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0018 Flexible Memberwise Initialization

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 09:23:10 CST 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?
-1
It adds a lot of stuff to the language that doesn't pay off enough.
There are already many concepts that are very specific and useful only for init, and it should be avoided to add more.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Definitely yes, but the imho most important thing (initial values for constants) will require even more additional syntax, as it isn't covered yet.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
You will know better, but hope for bigger ambitions ;-)

> 	* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
That is the source of my major objection:
The proposal is ok, but it makes initialization even more complicated — for me, this would destroy the last advantage Swift has over other languages (Scala, Kotlin...) in this area.
Other approaches are imho superior in every single aspect, and even if they are not "swifty" enough to get incorporated, their performance should be our reference value.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Quite a lot, as I've been involved in the discussion.

Tino