[swift-evolution] ternary operator ?: suggestion

Craig Cruden ccruden at novafore.com
Thu Jan 7 06:56:45 CST 2016

Enums in Swift seem to serve two purposes.

1. Enums as just a simple enumeration of a small set of values (spades, hearts, diamond, clubs)  (same as something like java enums)

2. As Algebraic Data Types (which could easily have data/arguments).

The second case is where the lack of a filter clause would be problematic in regards to pattern matching / expression.

Note:

I did not take offense to it - Swift is a language I might use more often (if it became useful on the server-side) but I don’t use regularly other than quick UI mockups - as such ugly code is easy to create.  (I don’t generally work on the UI since my perfectionist/OCD side comes out and I get sucked down the rabbit hole).    Was not worrying about simplification or reducing functions to a few lines of code - since it was not the focus.