[swift-evolution] Allow let binding of non-optionals

Krzysztof Siejkowski krzysztof at siejkowski.net
Thu Jan 7 01:06:42 CST 2016

FWIW, not sure if it fits your desired outcome, but some time ago I’ve proposed the idea of `CustomOptionalConvertible` protocol:
https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151207/000918.html

This could be used to extend the let binding syntax to any arbitrary type, as long as the user provides the valid translation to Optional<Type>.

The proposal, unfortunately, did not get a lot of attention at the time.

The main drawback to such a solution for your case is that CustomOptionalConvertible is an opt-in mechanism, so you’d need to write the implementation of CustomOptionalConvertible to each type you wish to let bind:

extension Type : CustomOptionalConvertible {
	typealias Wrapped = Type
	public var optional: Optional<Type> { get {
		return .Some(self)
	}}
}

Would the necessity for the above boilerplate be a show-stopper to you?
If so, would you rather see the extension of let bind syntax as default on for all the types?

Cheers,
Krzysztof