[swift-evolution] About the PermutationGenerator

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Wed Jan 6 12:39:15 CST 2016

Thank you for this. Also, the book states: "SequenceType makes no requirement on conforming types regarding whether they will be destructively "consumed" by iteration. To ensure non-destructive iteration, constrain your sequence to CollectionType."

Your magic DWIM Swift has generators (you call it a destructive iteration type) and collections (indexable, re-addressable types). I'm trying to wrap my head these. I interpret the former as f() -> U, with a progression of accesses with no memory that maps to a known type, and the latter being f(index) -> V, where index belongs to a fixed index set and maps to the collection's contents.

What confuses me is that both of these seem to my inexperienced mind to be operations not types. You point out that a SequenceType doesn't actually concretely exist ("Again, no concrete type would ever conform to SequenceType; it's just something you can use as a generic constraint.") If I were describing these, I'd call them sequence generating functions and collection walk functions. The former would allow potentially non-terminating streams including random number generation, signal generation (for example sin or square waves), or soliciting user input. The latter would offer any kind of iteration or permutation.

I'm not a language person (well not *that* kind of languages person) and I'm not up to date on the particular terms of art that apply here, as I learned when it came to suggesting alternatives to associated type, but it seems like these words don't really describe the things you guys are giving us.

Does this better explain my confusion?

-- Erica