[swift-evolution] [Mini-proposal] Require @nonobjc on members of @objc protocol extensions

Charles Srstka cocoadev at charlessoft.com
Tue Jan 5 20:55:17 CST 2016

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 8:29 PM, Greg Parker <gparker at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 5, 2016, at 3:37 PM, Charles Srstka via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org <mailto:swift-evolution at swift.org>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Jan 5, 2016, at 11:52 AM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com <mailto:dgregor at apple.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are better mechanisms for this than +load. But one would have to deal with the dylib loading issue and the need to enumerate root classes to get to a complete implementation. Frankly, I don’t think this level of Objective-C runtime hackery is worth the effort, hence my suggestion to make the existing behavior explicit.
>>
>> Yeah, +load was just to throw together a quick-and-dirty demonstration, and not what you’d actually use. You have a point about libraries and bundles; you’d have to hook into that and rescan each time new code was dynamically loaded. However, the enumeration of classes only seems to take around 0.001 seconds, so I don’t think it’s terrible.
>
> Enumeration of classes is terrible: it forces the runtime to perform lots of work that it tries very hard to perform lazily otherwise. I would expect your measured cost to be much higher if you had linked to more high-level libraries (UIKit, MapKit, etc).

That was my gut reaction to the idea also, when I had it, but it seems to run pretty fast no matter what I do. I just tried dragging every framework from /System/Library/Frameworks into the project, removing only the Java frameworks, Kernel.framework, Message.framework, and vecLib.framework. Time taken was 0.004260 seconds.

It is, of course, ugly and hacky as hell, and that might make a pretty good reason not to do it. :-/ What do you think about the other idea, of adding to NSObject’s default implementation of +resolveInstanceMethod:? That *would* be done lazily, and would avoid all the problems involving dynamically loaded code.

Charles