[swift-evolution] [Review] Replace `typealias` keyword with `associatedtype` for associated type declarations

Sune Foldager cyano at me.com
Mon Jan 4 11:05:26 CST 2016

> 	* What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1, although I don’t like the name because it’s two normally non-compoundable words, compounded into one. A combination that would be more natural is something like “typeassociate” although that sounds quite silly to me. I suppose maybe just “associated”.

> 	* Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes, it has seemed to confuse people on several occasions.

> 	* Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, I believe so.

> 	* If you have you used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I haven’t.

> 	* How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I followed the discussion closely and, while it doesn’t confuse me personally, I have seen several mails and forum posts from people it does.

/Sune